Pages

Friday 15 August 2014

Ulverston Summer 10k and an Exciting parkrun Announcement

On Wednesday night we all headed over to Ulverston to take part in the Hoad Hill Harriers Ulverston Summer 10k. I had signed up for the 10k (my turn!) and we got there nice and early to register the boys for the 1 mile fun run that started just after the main event. Once we'd collected our running numbers the boys were desperate for a play on the playground outside so that's where they remained till the start of the races, playing with the other Wind Cheetah Cubs and having a great time!



Although it wasn't overly cold it was very windy and the rain clouds were looking ominous overhead as we started the 10k. This was the same course that I had run back in December 2013 at the Ulverston Pudding Run (my first 10k!) so I was really hoping to see improvement on my previous time for the course.  I surprised myself with the pace I started with, and even more so by keeping it up at least until the halfway point. I ran part of the way with a little group of Cheetahs who really kept me going with their support and encouragement. Thank you ladies!! 

I was thrilled at the 5km point to find I'd gotten a new PB of 32.34, knocking a minute off my previous time. It was harder to keep up the pace on the way back but I did my best and didn't stop the entire way.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that I was going to get a new 10k PB by at least 6 minutes! I managed a semi-sprint into the finish and was greeted with cheers and hugs and a new medal! New 10k PB is 1.08.12.  Loved giving this course another go and seeing the progress I've made. Huge thank you to the Hoad Hill Harriers for putting on another great run! 



The boys had a great time on their fun run too, running over the land around the sports club with 12 other Cheetah Cubs and getting their own medal at the end. William ran his mile in 13.22 and Sam in 13.38. They absolutely love taking part in this sort of event and although it meant a late night for them it was worth it to see them happy and proud. Both medals were hung on their medal holders when we got home! 




Another excellent part of the week was at parkrun on Saturday. I was casually listening to the pre-run briefing when the parkrunner of the month announcement was made. Couldn't believe my ears when my name was called out. I am so very grateful to whoever nominated me, Barrow parkrun is such a huge part of our lives now and it's a joy to be a part of it each Saturday morning. Had a little cry of happy tears at the start of the run but was very excited by the thought of picking out a new pair of trainers courtesy of Sweatshop! I am hoping to go to the Chorley shop on Sunday afternoon so will post again with a pic of my prize! 

No comments:

Post a Comment